Reflecting Teaching and Learning

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Week 8 Task: Create an online course site or an exercise


I have created these online tasks for my final project.

a) What tool you used (please list the website) and what you created?

I have used Voicethread and created five threads for the students to comment using voice and writing. The address for my Voicethread is: https://voicethread.com/?#u2113378

c) The type of students who would use it?


These threads are created for my Study Skills students who are advanced level and need to improve their communication skills.

b) How you will use it in your teaching - please be specific?

These threads are used to improve my students communication skills. These also can be used for improving writing skills as students can communicate by writing and I have used the topics from the unit outline of study skills which are; note taking, referencing, essay writing, giving an introduction and exam preparation. So, they can be used to teach these skills as well. Some of these can be used in other grades/levels as well.

As my students are studying online and block mode they will do the work by themselves. They will listen to or read the instructions, go to the given websites, get information about the topic and tell the answer to the given questions using voice or if they are not able to do voice comments they can write the comments and other students and I can continue it as a discussion.
For those who have normal face-to-face class, these threads can be used as class activities or extension activities and also as homework.

d) How you will encourage learner autonomy with this tool?


As students will be doing this in their own time and by their own it encourages learner autonomy.

Websites used as resources.
Essay Writing: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/685/03/
Note taking Skills: http://www.esl-lab.com/tips/rent-apartment.htm
Referencing : http://gem.mche.edu.mv


Please try this link if you cannot sees the Voicethread.
http://voicethread.com/share/2311297/

2 comments:

  1. This is one of wonderful tools that I have ever found in the internet which enable learners to comment using voice and writing. Thank you for your sharing.

    I agree with you that this tool is best suit to enhance student’s communication skills. In terms of your project, you focus on writing skills in some level of English proficiency. So far, I personally believe, this tool is also helpful for listening practice as teacher could supply her own voice and native speaker file voice. I was interested in Voicethread and I would like to try in my next class. Thank you for inspiring me.

    andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Roza,

    Also as Andy, said this is one of the most wonderful tools in the internet that enables students to comment using voice and writing. I find it a very authentic tool for improving especially the speaking skills.

    It is a great advantage for you and as well as for your students to already use it in class.

    Unfortunately, here in Kosovo, still there isn't possible;e to use such tools in class because of the lack of different equipment, computers and internet.

    You are doing a great job!

    Best regards,
    Blerta

    ReplyDelete