Reflecting Teaching and Learning

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week 9 Discussion: Learning styles

http://www.open2.net/survey/learningstyles/

Technology can be used to enhance different learning styles in a classroom. There are different technology tools, gadgets and online learning materials. Teachers need to be active, creative, and innovative and determined to look for the most appropriate materials and tools and dedicated to use them in the class. The following list includes some o the technology tools I believe would work for me for different learning styles.

For verbal linguistic
Voice thread for Story-sharing creation, poems, essays, letters and for discussion and commenting. I have created some voicethreads for my final project and I liked it very much. I realized the potential of that for language learning and I believe it can be used to discuss, stories poems and essay. I will use this tool for discussion.

Story sharing sites- http://www.storywrite.co.uk/storyassessment.htm
Students can get instructions, share their stories and get others opinions. This would create interest and enthusiasm and would improve students writing skills.

Nicenet is also such an excellent tool for discussion. I have already been using the discussion forum and chat functions in Moodle. However, I found that when using chats in Moodle every response is on a separate thread. That means if you say yes to somebody, there is no way others would identify to whome you are saying 'yes'. You cannot response to that persons thread. But in the nice net it is like that. So, Nicenet has this function well built.

Bodily/Kinesthetic
Video production - skits, dances, sports, role playing, demonstrations
Animation - Macromedia Flash

I believe these two are interesting; however, I do not have much information on them.

Logical/Mathematical
Spreadsheets- is a software I have been using for a long time and gives a lot of ease to lots of small calculations when doing marks sheets and lists etc.

Power point presentation- this is the most important and most used software for me. it is immensely useful for our block tutorials when we need to present so much information within a short period of time and to keep students attention and interest on the topic.

Online data collection. I have known Survey monkey for some time and from this course I have learned and used Google forms to crate survey to collect data. these online forms are make your work so much easy and it can automatically illustrate the data and information on graphs and charts which saves lot of time.

Webquests. I got the opportunity to use Webquests in this course and I found it also an interesting strategy to use in my lessons.

Interpersonal
Blogs- I have created my very first blog during this course and I like it very much. I found blogs a very appropriate tool which will enhance and improve students writing and researching skills. I will be using it in my teaching in the future.

Comments are welcome!
Regards,

2 comments:

  1. Roza, I agree totally with you all you are expressing in this interesting article that today you give us, it is true. The suitable use of the technology can facilitate the learning process .When I studied at the university 22 years ago we did not have the opportunity to have a computer. Today it is different a lot of information we can search on the web. I was interested very much in the tool Voice thread, it is spectacular. I recommend it to all our colleagues.
    I am using Nicenet now, but my pupils are going to be on vacation , they comeback on January again .Nicenet is easy to use, the tool propitious and indicated for the conditions that there are given where i work. The use of adapted of a blog with educational character, it is brilliant. I believe that complementing a tool with other one we can guide better our students.Maldives must be a great place to live. Here in Colombia we have wonderful places to visit. Have a nice week!
    Your friend: Felipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Felipe for your comment. I also believe Nicenet and blogs are very appropriate tools for writing and discussions and I will use those in the future with my students.

    ReplyDelete