Reflecting Teaching and Learning

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reflective Summary of Week 1

The importance of reflecting on our learning and teaching has been emphasized by many educators. It is a part of our learning process. According to Biggs (2001), reflective teaching can enhance quality by improving on current practice removing impediments to good teaching.

When I look back on what I have done this week I am really satisfied as I have completed all the tasks assigned. With that I have learned new technology tools that can be incorporate to enhance my teaching. I have read the resources provided on the course website which assisted me to complete my tasks. Also, the discussions on Nicenet allowed me to get to know the participants of the course and incorporate my ideas to set the ground rules for our discussions. In addition, communicating my course mates through these discussions are fun and eliminated the feeling that I am at a distance.

Through this course I have discovered and experienced four technology related tools out of which blogging is the most thrilling gadget. Although it was a little bit complicated for me at first, I succeeded in creating my own blog (Welcome to Roza's Blog) which I am still improving by adding different gadgets to make it more, attractive, creative and informative. I feel that it is something which gives my presence on the web.

Another cool tool I have learned is Google maps. I have created my own map, marked my home and provided information about the place. The map activities and projects suggested for students in the wiki could be very meaningful for an English Language class. Google forms is also a small and useful gadget. It is a useful tool to help us plan events, give students quizes or collect other information in a convenient, streamlined way. When a form is send to recipients, their responses will automatically be collected in a spreadsheet with the same name. I have created a survey form and found that it can be quite valuable especially to collect students’ feedback about our courses which runs in blended mode.

It’s a great week!

Reference:

Biggs, J. (2001). The Reflective Institution: Assuring and Enhancing the Quality of Teaching and Learning. Higher Education, 41(3), 221-238.

No comments:

Post a Comment