Reflecting Teaching and Learning

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Week 5 -PROJECT STEP #4: Describe a technology-related change



As I have been describing my students last week, I have selected 20 students from my Study Skills subject, in which they study writing skills, reading skills, presentation, note taking skills etc. Students are doing the course online and block mode where most of the work is online and they have block mode face-to-face tutorials. We use Moodle for our learning management system and we have synchronous and asynchronous discussion forums.

I have found out that we need to build students confidence and improve their oral communication as well as develop their writing skills. However, as Robert has suggested to me (thanks Robert for all the ideas and comments), in this project it will not be possible to focus on all these issues. Therefore, I thought of focusing my project on oral communication. To improve the students’ oral communication, I researched a technology tool which fits my students’ needs (as they are only studying online as the face-to-face blocks are already over). I have found out that Voicetread is an appropriate tool for the purpose which could enable students to add audio, video and text comments to graphics, videos and documents. It is a new tool for the students and if they can add voice and comment on the graphics, I believe students will find it interesting and most importantly very appropriate for practicing oral communication. I have already started the project and as students are at a distance plus they are preparing for the exam, I am a little bit worried about getting their full participation.

Pls. comment!
Thanks,

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rosa,

    It is great that you are using technology in class, and it's even better that you've already began to apply the project with your students.

    I agree with you about Voicethread, it is a great tool where students can improve the oral, visual, listening and also writing skills. I sincerely hope that the students will fully participate, otherwise they are going to miss a very good opportunity for improving their language proficiency.

    Also I planned to use Voicethread with my students, so that they can directly see different pictures and comment them orally or in written form.

    Best regards,
    Blerta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Blerta,

    I also hope that students participate as they are
    studying online and distance, I will not be able to help them much if they are not participating.

    Let's wish all of us good luck and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete